Monday, October 12, 2009

Hair Today, Gone Tomorrow

Amazing how liberating it is to just get it overwith.
All day Saturday, I was an emotional wreck.  My hair was falling out twice as fast after chemo 3.  Cody finally got me to stand up to my greatest fear of losing my hair, and dragged me (practically kicking and screaming) to the salon.

We went to Hanas Wig Boutique, with Mom Dad and Sarah.  Wigs everywhere, extremely intimidating.  The staff there were extremely helpful and supportive, knowing exactly how hard it was for me to just BE THERE.  Tried a couple wigs on, examined the hair I did have, and how quickly it would fall out.  Hana herself came by, and shes a cancer survivor! so it was comforting having her help me.  Finally settled on a wig about the same length and color as my natural hair.  Then out came the shaver (or whatever its called).   I cried as my beautiful blonde locks were shaved off my head.  I think everybody cried.

This seriously teaches me a huge lesson on VANITY.  Gives me a new appreciation for those who up and shave their heads BEFORE they start chemo. 
Those I love, will still love me, hair or no hair.

I hope the 1/2 inch of hair I do have left, grows just a little, so I can at least sport a mo-hawk.  Give this awful haircut a little pizzaz!

I did notice how many freakin shampoo and hair color commercials there are though.  Which will be frustrating for the next few months.  And I do pay more attention to the people around me in public places.   Is her hair real or fake?  How many other bald people are in the room?  It was extremely comforting when codys mom came over yesterday to take us shopping, and she had no idea my wig, was a wig!  Reassuring to say the least. 

Stay tuned for pictures.  When I bring myself to take some.  Dont worry, I eventually will.  Promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment