Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Cycle 1 - Not too bad!

Yep. Day 1.
Cycle 1 - Treatment 1 of 2

Not too bad actually. I get to sit in a nice recliner chair, bring a portable dvd player, my laptop (free wifi!) or take a nap... so many options. My brother Bobby came for my first treatment. He's the best at keeping me giggly and happy.

In more detail, I am getting ABVD
A-Adriamycin --- This is the drug that causes hair loss.
B- Bleomycin --- An Antineoplastic used to treat certain cancers.
V-Vinblastine --- An Antineoplatic used to treat certain cancers.
D- Dacarbazine --- This one everyone dreads. It causes burning while getting the med thru an IV. This is why some doctors use Infusion Cathaders (surgically put under skin of chest or arm to reduce irritation or burning)

This nice cocktail of drugs is what a majority of Oncologists use to treat Hodgkins Lymphoma. (Depending on your age, weight, etc...)

After the Chemo today, I feel fine! Normal. No Nasuea. Had some fresh carrots a tall glass of water and a sandwich. Still feel fine! I assume side effects will show their true colors upon more treatments.

My family has been doing great helping me deal with hair loss. My brother and my dad are going to shave their heads with me once I start to notice a great deal of hair falling out. At the Oncology office, women are walking around bald, with a smile on their face. Gives me the courage to look past the hair loss, and forward to getting through these treatments. Luckily, I'm going through this at the end of the year. No summer swim suits, shorts, tanks and heat to deal with. More cute beanies, wraps, hoods, and snow! I'll probably end up getting a wig. Just one though. Doubt i'll wear it often, too itchy I hear. My off weeks perfectly scheduled to land on holidays! Thanksgiving, Christmas, NYE. Awesome.. By that time, I should only have 1 cycle left before I should be in remission. FEBRUARY FEBRUARY FEBRUARY!!!!!!!


I cut my hair way short the other day... I've NEVER had it this short before... Thoughts?

2 comments: