Friday, September 4, 2009

Meeting my Oncologist

Talk about nerves. Knowing i'm going in to find out what stage the disease is in.
My oncologist was quite intimidating at first. I just wanted to leave before the consult was over. She is very straight forward, a tough cookie. After the exam, and the bone marrow biopsy (uh.. ouch! ouch! OUCH!) she turned out to be exactly what I wanted. Funny, does well keeping my mind straight and keeping me informed (whether I liked the truth or not).

It was definitely a lot of information to take in for the first day. Got a dvd on "what to expect" instead of a class because monday is labor day. (and Codys birthday!) The facilities were nice. They showed me where I would hang out while getting the chemo, and even told me the best spot to get! It overlooks downtown denver, as the oncology offices are on the 12th floor. FANTASTIC view.



It still hurts where the bone marrow biopsy was done. I spent most of the remainder of my day relaxing. Hopefully the pain will subside in time to celebrate Codys birthday.

I was told i'm in stage 2A. Meaning the cancer remains above my diaphram, has only affected a few lymph nodes, and not too worrysome of symptoms. (itching, exhaustion) I will begin 6 cycles of treatment over the next 6 months. (or once every two weeks) I get my first chemo on Tuesday, so shortly we will see how the drug affects me. Until then, I'll probably cut my hair short. And cut down on washing it to about twice a week.

Fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment